What are Custom Error Pages?
Custom error pages are pages shown to your website visitors which match your website theme when an error has occured within your website. The error can be caused by different things, the most common is the 404 – File Not Found error.
How Do I Create a Custom Error Page?
- Start by taking a copy of your website template and saving it with the appropriate name for the error you are creating it for. Consult the web hosting documentation as to the naming convention you should use.
- Include in the body (content) area:
- a precise description of what has happened, written in plain english, not a techical explaination.
- a search box if you have website search enabled on the website.
- a link to the website sitemap. (the traditional type, not to be confused with the sitemaps for Google or Yahoo)
- a list of possibly related links.
- a contact form (or link to) so the visitor can notify you of the error.
- Make the links to the images and styles for the page absolute as you may not know in advance what the relationship between your error page location and the page requested will be.
- Add the necessary server side instructions to implement your custom error pages.
- View our Video Tutorial on setting the URL or File for your custom error pages.
What are Error Pages?
Error pages are web pages shown to the website visitor when something has gone wrong with the web page they have requested. They will also been shown when there is a server error.
Common errors you may encounter: